Legal Information

The Law Can Help You

Once you've broken the silence and circle of abuse, there are resources and protection that you can seek within the law. The Family Violence Prevention Act offers three protective court orders that can help victims by offering immediate and long term help, as well as help from others. You can call the RCMP or Victim Service Workers in your community to learn more about these court orders. There is a listing of community and First Nation resources under the Resources link.

The types of orders that can help you are:

Emergency Intervention Order (EIO)

Many women are afraid to leave their homes when they are being abused for fear that they will have nowhere to go and won't be able to return.

For immediate help, the Emergency Intervention Order can allow you and your children to stay in your home if it is safe, it can remove the abusive person from your home, and will prevent the abusive person from contacting you, your family, or anyone else listed in the court order.

Victim's Assistance Order (VAO)


Once you've left your abusive situation, it is still a difficult time and many women are unsure if they have any rights to their personal property, lose time at work, or have expenses caused by the situation like moving or legal expenses.

For longer-term help, a Victim's Assistance Order can give you the same types of protection of an Emergency Intervention Order as well as:

* temporary possession of personal property,

* prevent the abusive person from taking or damaging your property

* require the abusive person to pay you or your children for any loss of income, medical, moving or legal expenses.

A VAO is only issued by a Territorial Court Judge, so you may have to go to court. You can get VAO kits by calling the RCMP or Victim Services.

Warrant of Entry


The Warrant of Entry allows you to get help from others. Because one of the indicators of abuse is controlling and limiting who you see and spend time with, a friend or family member who has been denied access to you can apply for a Warrant of Entry if they are afraid you are in danger. This warrant will authorize a police officer to enter your home, help you, help you leave the home, and search the home for signs of violence.

Peace Bonds


Peace Bonds are another legal resource that can provide you some longer-term protection. These warrants tell your abuser that they can't contact you in any direct or indirect way. This means they can't call or visit you at home or work or stop you on the street, nor can they try to get in touch with you through another person or by leaving notes or emailing you. Peace Bonds can have other conditions that limit or prevent contact with you, your children, or your family.

You should always carry a copy of the Peace Bond on you. If the person abusing you breaks the Peace Bond they are breaking the law. Call the RCMP right away. If you choose not to report the incident, make sure you record the incident in writing. Include the date, time, location, who was involved and what happened.

Keep a record of any abusive behaviour. Save telephone messages, emails and texts. Make copies and keep in a safe place. Always let your friends, neighbours and family of the Peace Bond so they won't be manipulated into contacting you on your abuser's behalf, and so they can be more vigilant about your safety.

More information on the legal rights and resources you have can be found on the Victim Services/Family Violence Prevention Unit website at

Legal Resources/Information

Personal Injury Legal Help

The Community Law Clinic is a Yukon Legal Services Community Clinic. It provides legal aid services to low income individuals in criminal, family and mental health cases.

Law Society of the Yukon Lawyer Referral Service

The Law Society of the Yukon provides a confidential lawyer referral consultation services for $30. The service is to help you determine if you have a legal problem and if you need the services of a lawyer. To use this service, you need to get a list of lawyers providing the consultation service and a referral certificate from the Law Society of Yukon. See their website for more information.

The Neighbourhood Law Centre

Located across from the Justice Building, the Neighbourhood Law Centre is a community clinic provided by the Yukon Legal Services Society. Staff are available to offer assistance to low-income individuals and families in non-family, civil law matters that are impacting livelihood, physical or mental health, or the ability to provide food, clothing, and shelter for themselves and families.

The Neighbourhood Law Centre is staffed by lawyers that are qualified to provide free legal advice as well as representation to eligible clients in:

* Employment Insurance

* CPP and CPP Disability Insurance

* Social Assistance Benefits

* Landlord/Tenant Housing Matters

* Disability Issues.

To take advantage of these services, call to schedule an appointment.

Yukon Legal Services Society

If you need a lawyer but can't afford to pay, the Yukon Legal Services Society can provide a lawyer at a reduced cost or at no cost to you. The Yukon Legal Services Society provides legal aid to low-income individuals in criminal, family and mental health cases.

The Legal Aid Services Society has three Law Clinics: the Community Law Clinic, Campbell & Company, and the Neighbourhood Law Centre. Check the Legal Services Society website for contact information for these clinics.

The Administration office can help you apply for legal aid.

Yukon Public Legal Education Association

The Yukon Public Legal Education Association (YPLEA) is a non-profit organization devoted to providing legal information to the public and promoting increased access to the legal system. The goal of the Association is to help the public to identify and understand their legal rights and responsibilities in order to improve their ability to deal with legal matters. The YPLEA website has easy to access downloadable legal forms and materials.

YPLEA has a Law Line operating during limited hours (check website for hours) for the public to call when seeking legal information. The Law Line is meant to help callers identify legal issues affecting them and provide information on how to resolve those legal issues. The Law Line does not give legal advice or provide legal services.

First Nations Legal Resources and Referrals


In the following communities in the Yukon you can ask First Nations court workers for referrals and information:

Beaver Creek, Burwash, Carcross, Haines Junction, Teslin, Whitehorse